How to Help Your Child Face Periodontal Disease
Is your child complaining of sore teeth and gums? They may have periodontal disease and you need to seek immediate treatment to deal with this dangerous gum disease before it destroys their teeth and gums. Learn more about the signs of gum disease to help guide your child through treatment.
Signs of Gum Disease
Different kids have different symptoms, but these are the most frequent signs of gum disease:
- Bleeding during daily brushing and flossing
- Red, tender gums
- Receding gums
- Separating or loose teeth
- A shift in bite and alignment of jaw
- Bad breath or taste in the mouth
3 Types of Periodontal Disease
The stages of gum disease range from slight to severe. Dentists divide them into these three categories:
- 1. Gingivitis: As the mildest form of periodontal disease, the gums are starting to become swollen and tend to bleed easily when during brushing and flossing.
- 2. Mild periodontitis: If gingivitis isleftuntreated, it can worsen into this stage. The signs of this gum disease include severely swollen gums, pockets around the gum line, loosening of teeth, and erosion of the bone surrounding teeth.
- 3. Moderate to advanced periodontitis: This is the most advanced stage because it is a substantial loss of both bone and tissue around the teeth.
Causes of Soreness
You can usually blame bacteria and plaque for gingivitis. As this dental decay builds up, it leads to more severe types of periodontal disease. While decay is the leading cause, there are other possible reasons for gum disease in children, such as:
- Poor oral hygiene
- A diet lacking essential nutrients or a vitamin C deficiency
- Such medical conditions as diabetes and autoimmune or systemic diseases
- Hormonal changes in the body
- Ongoing teeth grinding
- Certain medications
As with adults, a child’s course of treatment is chosen according to their age, overall health, tolerance for treatment, and stage of the periodontal disease. Treatment typically includes plaque removal procedures, medication, or surgery for advanced cases. Your child’s dentist in Stockbridge will consult with you to determine what’s right for your child.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Stockbridge, call Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing today at (770) 872-0728 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Stockbridge. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing.