What to Eat After Impacted Wisdom Teeth Removal
After your dentist has alleviated your impacted wisdom teeth pain, you may want to have a celebratory meal. But that dinner might have to be delayed because it can take up to two weeks before you can eat comfortably again. Until you’re fully healed, use this helpful eating guide to ensure healthy healing.
While you recover from your impacted wisdom teeth removal, the foods you love may be hard to swallow. Foods that are very crunchy, chewy, or spicy can be troublesome for a tender mouth and may even prevent proper healing. Also, be sure to avoid acidic foods that could irritate your mouth, along with foods that require excessive chewing or opening your mouth very wide.
Foods to Choose
Discomfort can make it difficult to eat after wisdom teeth removal. Opt for these softer foods to make eating comfortable and enjoyable until your mouth is fully healed:
- Cottage Cheese and Eggs: These soft and tasty choices provide your body much-needed protein.
- Pastina and Pasta: Pastina is a small, star-shaped pasta that’s easy to eat because of its small size. Pasta that’s been cooked to a very soft stage is an ideal choice after your impacted wisdom teeth removal.
- Mashed Potatoes: Both sweet and white potatoes are some of the easiest foods to eat after wisdom teeth removal. Top with butter, gravy, or sour cream for additional variety.
- Pancakes and Oatmeal: The fruits and nuts included in these may be a little too chewy, but otherwise these starchy classics are easy to eat.
- Smooth Soups: While some soups have chunks of meats or vegetables that are hard to chew, smooth soups like tomato bisque, cream of celery, and chicken noodle are perfect after your surgery.
- Milkshakes: These treats are a great choice for immediately after wisdom teeth removal. Add protein powder or a meal replacement packet to boost their nutritional content. Be sure to use a spoon, not a straw, because sucking can interfere with healing.
- Smoothies: Combine fresh or frozen fruit with yogurt and ice to make a healthy drink that feels good in your sore mouth. Add protein powder to make it a nutritional powerhouse.
- Yogurt and Ice Cream: Soft ice cream and creamy yogurts are best, especially the first couple of days after wisdom teeth are removed. Eat these creamy treats in a cup using a spoon and remember to avoid the sharp edges of chunky mix-ins or cones.
- Applesauce and Pudding: Their smooth texture makes them simple to savor; different flavors prevent boredom.
- Beverages: After wisdom teeth removal, most beverages are acceptable. But steer clear of alcohol and very hot or cold beverages until you’ve recovered fully.
Last Words of Wisdom
Be sure to follow all instructions given by your dentist and ask questions when in doubt. The complexity and extent of your wisdom teeth removal will affect how much you’re able to eat after surgery. Pay attention to how your mouth feels and if chewing is arduous or painful, keep choosing soft foods until you are ready to return to your regular diet. Make sure to get proper nutrition, including protein and vitamin C to promote healing.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Stockbridge, call Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing today at (770) 872-0728 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Stockbridge. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing.