Dental Crowns – What They Do and Why You Need Them
A dental crown is a protective covering that is designed to conceal and protect the entire visible portion of a tooth. Dental crowns can restore the shape, size, and function of damaged teeth and increase their aesthetic appeal. A crown is typically created in a dental laboratory. It mimics the exact shape of the tooth and is customized to provide a realistic look and feel. Crowns are used to correct dental problems in adults and children and can be made from a variety of strong, durable materials. You may need a dental crown in the following situations:
7 Reasons Dental Crowns Are Needed
- A crown can prevent a weak tooth from breaking, or hold parts of a broken tooth together.
- Crowns can support and protect a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t much left of its natural structure.
- A cap or crown can hold a dental bridge in place or enhance its appearance.
- A crown is the finishing step in a root canal treatment or dental implant procedure.
- Crowns can solve most cosmetic tooth problems.
- Temporary stainless steel crowns are placed over children’s primary teeth that are weak or at high risk of decay.
- Temporary crowns reduce the need for general anesthesia.
5 Types of Dental Crowns
- Stainless steel crowns are preformed, temporary crowns that protect teeth while permanent crowns are being made. They are affordable and can be placed in one visit.
- Metals and metal alloys such as gold, nickel, chromium and palladium are used to make permanent crowns. With metal crowns, less of the natural tooth is removed, and their durable nature provides a strong chewing surface. Because metal crowns are highly visible, they are usually reserved for molars.
- All-ceramic or all-porcelain crowns are good choices for front teeth because of their natural appearance and color-matching ability. They are also a viable option for people with metal allergies.
- Combination or porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns provide a strong and natural-looking surface with the benefit of added durability.
- Composite resin crowns are less expensive than other types, but they are also weaker and more vulnerable to fracture.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Stockbridge, call Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing today at (770) 872-0728 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Stockbridge. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing.