Get to the Root of Root Canal Pain
If decay or infection has damaged your tooth, then a root canal can relieve the problem. The treatment removes the source of your suffering and prevents later dental damage.
Root canals are treatments that can remedy a tooth that is severely decayed or infected. The procedure involves removing the inflamed nerve and pulp in the tooth to prevent any infection from spreading to nearby areas. Despite its painful reputation, root canal pain is a major myth because it actually lessens pain instead of leading to it.
Symptoms – While a decayed or infected tooth can often cause discomfort, some people don’t have any symptoms at all. But the most common signs that you may need a root canal include:
- Redness, swelling, and tenderness in the surrounding gums
- Severe pain when chewing or putting pressure on the tooth
- Extreme sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Tooth discoloration
- A recurrent pimple on the gums
The Root Canal Procedure – Root canals are often performed by a dentist, but your case may demand a specialist called an endodontist. Your dentist can recommend an affordable dental care expert in endodontics in Stockbridge. You can expect the following during the root canal:
- An x-ray determines the shape of the root canals and any signs of infection.
- Local anesthesia may be used to numb the area.
- A rubber dam is placed around the tooth to keep the area free from saliva.
- An access hole is drilled into the tooth to allow the pulp, nerve, and decayed tissue to be taken out with ease.
- The tooth is thoroughly cleaned out to remove all decay and debris.
- The tooth is sealed either immediately or given a temporary filling to allow for a week of healing time.
- Finally, a filling is placed over tooth to cover the original access hole.
The procedure is painless, but any post-root canal pain can be eased with over-the-counter pain medications. The tooth may feel sensitive for a few days after treatment, but most patients return to their normal activities the very next day. You should continue to brush and floss as always. If you are given a temporary filling, avoid putting pressure on that tooth until the final filling is placed.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Stockbridge, call Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing today at (770) 872-0728 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Stockbridge. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Eagles Landing.